- 1 bag (3 oz.) dried california chili pods
- 4 T. Western Family Olive Oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans Western Family Chicken Broth
- 2 lbs. chopped pork, chicken or beef
- 4 c. water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 c. Western Family White, Golden, or Mexican Style Hominy
- ½ c. chopped fresh oregano
- dried red pepper flakes
- Remove stems and shake out seeds from California chili pods. Place pods in a sauce pan and cover with water. Simmer, covered until pods are soft. Set aside to cool.
- Put cooled chili pods and water into a blender and puree. Set aside.
- Heat the Western Family olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for three minutes. Add chopped pork, chicken or beef and brown well.
- Pour Western Family chicken broth and water over the meat and onion mixture. Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat. Gently simmer the mixture for three hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add pureed chili mixture to meat until desired heat level is reached. Season with salt and pepper.
- Then add hominy and fresh oregano to meat and chili mixture and stir well. Cover and simmer for one hour.
- Serve hot with dried red pepper flakes sprinkled on top and warm Western Family corn tortillas.