- 1 bag (12oz) Western Family Frozen Dark Sweet Pitted Cherries, coarsely chopped
- ? cup + 2 tablespoons Western Family Granulated sugar, divided
- ¾ teaspoon Western Family Cinnamon, divided
- ¼ teaspoon Western Family Salt
- 1 tablespoon Western Family Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Western Family Lemon juice
- 1 large Egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- 1 (15oz) package Western Family Refrigerated Pie Crust
- ¼ cup Western Family All-purpose flour, for dusting
- In a medium sauce pan combine the cherries, ? cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until the cherries are juicy and the sugar dissolves, about five minutes.
- Spoon about two tablespoons of the cherry juice into a small bowl. Stir in the cornstarch until dissolved. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan and continue to cook until very thick, six to eight more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, stir in the lemon juice and let cool.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, make an egg wash with 1 slightly beaten egg and 1 tablespoon milk. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons sugar with ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
- On a clean, smooth surface dusted with flour, roll out the pie crusts. Cut each one into quarters.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of filling into the center of a crust quarter, brush the edges with egg wash, and fold the crust in half. Crimp the edges with a fork
- Brush the top of each turnover with more egg wash, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture, and cut a 1-inch vent in the top.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling and place on baking sheet with about one inch of space between each pie.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the bottoms and tops are golden brown,
- Cool on a wire rack.